How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a tax company working on our taxes years and

Customer Question

I have had a tax company working on our taxes for 2 years and we owe a lot of taxes when my husband went over to Iraq to work. He came home early because his illness became worst and he died last month from Lewie body and we owe over 100,000.00 and the tax people went and did 2014 and got back 4500.00 for the IRS. and they are still going slow. They thought they were going to milk more money from me but there isn't any and the little I will receive from a work policy half will pay his funeral and the other half will pay our bills. I sent everything to them 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard back yet. I am very worried that they won't finish and I'm about to lose our house and there was another policy but we forgot to check it and we didn't take his kids off of it when they all turned 21 and they are getting it. What can I do if the tax people don't finish.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
My deepest sympathies for the loss of your husband.
I am bit unclear as to the status of things.
Is the tax company negotiating an Offer-in-Compromise with the IRS?
Are all the tax returns current?
Are the ones that you and your late husband owe more than two years old and if so, were the returns filed on time?
I look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We filed all taxes and what we owe is Federal not State. The taxes we owe go back to 2002 to 2009.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sending you our monthly payment plan with all years and what is owed. The years of 2002 - 2009 and I believe 2009 was a math mistake and we didn't owe money. 2002 is when I received money when the plant I worked in closed and we used it on building a house and we put the money in the house and in 2006 is when my husband came home from working in Iraq and his illness became so bad he had to come home before he worked 3 years, he worked from 2/2004 to 10/2006 and when he came home he was put on ssi disablity. The tax group that is doing our taxes is named The Tax Group Center CA. The person I am working with is Philip.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When he first learned of my husbands passing he was going to ask for more money. We had already paid between 4 and 6000.00 and all they have done so far are regular taxes. Because they haven't finished it yet we were going to get back over $4000 from fed. and they get to keep it because they haven't finished. I sent them everything from all years and answered all questions they asked and I had to have this surgery and now our house may be sold in a sheriff's sale on the 15 of June and I am calling the lawyer we have on that and before I make the finale payment it better be taken off. "Yes Virgina we are in alot of trouble." Then my husband died and I wonder if the stress with the Illness cause his death to happen sooner.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
I need additional clarification. Why is your house going to be auctioned off?