I received a call june 5th, according by an investigator from…

Customer Question
I received a call june...
I received a call june 5th, according by an investigator from homeland security in Tennessee that he has a supeona to request copies of tax information of 18 of my clients? I asked him why and they only thing he said was they are being investigated. should I be worried
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/6/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
IF you have done nothing wrong on the returns and you completed them in compliance with all of the tax rules and laws, then you have nothing to be afraid of.
You should turn all of the files over to your attorney though and do not turn them over directly to the agent, since you have not yet received the actual subpoena yet you can do so and then when he serves you the subpoena you can inform him the records are in the hands of your attorney who will review the subpoena. Your attorney can actually object to the subpoena if he wants or each client can file an objection in court to the subpoena.
If you did nothing wrong though, it would not be anything to worry about other than you want to use your attorney to protect yourself from claims from clients about improperly releasing their records.