Had a friend replace brakes on my vehicle. His garage broke…

Customer Question
Had a friend replace brakes...
Had a friend replace brakes on my vehicle. His garage broke into flames while my car was inside and rapidly burned to the ground destroying my car. I carry only liability on my car. His homeowners insurance refuses to reimburse me for my loss. Pa State fire Marshall said structure too far destroyed to determine cause of fire. He had same structure totally destroyed five years ago and had claim paid. A week after this fire and prior to fire marshal determination he told me he will not rebuild garage but use money for fixi g his house. He owns house and 20+ acres.
How can I get legal reimbursement for my car
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/6/2015
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardI am sorry to hear of this matter. Please tell me what is the homeowner's refusing his claim? How much would you estimate the value of the vehicle?
Value of 2006 dodge Durango limited 6800.00Homeowners: Millville Mutual, insurers of this guy with the personal garage,says they won't pay me if the fire is accidental and didn't have a response if fire is deliberate. State fire Marshall unable to make determination because the fire destroyed everything regarding this personal garage
HelloThank you. Yes the insurance company should pay for any personal property that was in the garaged belonging to the homeowner. I suggest, your recourse is to sue the homeowner for the value of your vehicle and you can sue in small claims court for up to $8000 However your friend can defend the suit on the basis of he did not cause the fire and did noting negligent that caused the fire. But that would be your only recourse.
I also suggest that if the Fire Marshall is inconclusive then it can be argued it was not deliberate and so it must have been accidental and his insurance should cover an accidental fire. It will be a long and involved lawsuit against the Insurance Company. But you could consult with a local attorney about that.
That you so much for the clarity of your reply.Be it a long process, the possible outcome is worth the fight!
It's hard to guarantee. I mean you have many variables here. Most times, when there is no contract and it is a friend to friend arrangement such as this, it is difficult to hold someone responsible.
Sam, Attorney at Law