I had a dui in April of '13. I did my community

Customer Question
Hello. I had a dui...
Hello. I had a dui in April of '13. I did my community service and paid my fine in full. I had started my classes and then had to have my gallbladder removed. I contacted the person in charge of my classes and she told me I had to go back to court to be
reassigned. I did that and the judge gave me a new date to get back in classes. When I went back there they told me they were booked three weeks out and I had to go back to court to get new date to start classes. I have waited over a year because I was afraid.
I have a really good job and have been there 9 years and don't want to lose it by being put into jail. My question is should I hire an attorney to go back in front of judge? I have never been in trouble before or after this.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/6/2015
Lawyer: David C. Garner, Attorney replied 3 years ago
David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
I don't know that you need to hire an attorney, but I would get back in front of the court, explain the situation and ask for a new date. Courts are usually willing to let people who are engaged and trying squeak by. Most importantly however you need to (forgive me) stop stalling. By waiting a year you made your arguments worse.
Go back to court as soon as possible, get a new date, and get the classes done. The piece of mind you will have will be well worth the extra effort.
I hope this helps.
DCG