I think it is about time NAACP to do an about face

Customer Question
I think it is about...
I think it is about time for the NAACP to do an about face and pursue in finding solutions to young black males activity in crime. My question is. Is crime a cause or an effect?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/6/2015
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 3 years ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Thank you for using Just Answer.
This is not a question with one correct answer -I believe that you could ask 10 different people and have them all say something different. Therefore, I can only give you my opinion.
My opinion is that crime is the effect of multiple factors:
1) Economic factors/poverty
2) Society/Social environment
3) Family
People who grow up in extremely poor households are more likely to look for a quick way out, a change of lifestyle, and that can translate into turning to crime - selling drugs, stealing, etc. It's certainly easier then having to live day to day struggling, having nothing, and feeling like you either take the easy way or work for years trying to change. Of course not everyone who grows up poor turns to crime, but I think it effects people and makes those living in poverty look at crime as a way out --even though they may struggle with doing wrong or know that they could potentially suffer harsh consequences if caught.
Society and a person's environment go along with that. Lack of amenities and the lifestyle that others may have pushes many youth (who are the most at risk) into lives of crime. And why not? In their neighborhoods, crime and gangs are prevalent, odds are everyone knows someone in a gang, in prison, dealing drugs, turning tricks, what have you. Some break out and become successes, but those who don't fall into the same behaviors as those around them. That fuels an increase in crime, and the cycle continues.
Family plays a roll too. So many youth today come from broken homes, being raised by a single parent. And while I applaud those parents who work so hard, the absence of that two parent household, and especially fathers, makes it so that youth will look elsewhere for what they feel is missing. Where they find guidance is often on the street, and often in gangs. The gang becomes their "family"; they naively operate under a blind assumption that the gang will be there for them, when the reality is something much different. But so desperate they are for family, for acceptance, to belong to something, that youth will throw themselves into criminal activity.
Again, this is just my opinion, and by no means am I suggesting that this is a complete list. I'm sure there are other things people can point to, maybe things you have thought of. If I can provide further information or clarification, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist you. Thank you.