How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is a nurse practitioner local

Customer Question

My daughter is a nurse practitioner for a local clinic..recently she was told that no federal taxes had been taken out of her check (her employers error) they are now taking 900.00 out every two weeks this apparently happened to others as well she is single
and cannot afford this.. Does she have any recourse?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel and thank you for requesting I provide information in this regard
This is an unfortunate situation.
The bot***** *****ne is the taxes must be paid, as I am sure you are well aware. If your daughter and the others can show the employer deliberately did not withhold the taxes - as in they did it knowingly and that it was not an error on their part, then I suggest they can take the matter to small claims court and try to recover the money from the employer.
However, I suggest there is no guarantee that a court will "punish" an employer for an error.
Do you know how long the employer did not withhold the taxes?
Was it a matter of they did withhold and then all of sudden stopped the deduction?
If yes, did your daughter not notice an increase in her paycheck because the money was not being withheld?