How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1. My son has been in jail crime he didn't commit for

Customer Question

1. My son has been in jail for a crime he didn't commit for over 16 yrs and the Georgia Innocec Project has DNA that proves my son's innocence and the Georgia Supreme Court refuse to hear it, I feel that it is retialiation because I have been writing letters about the abuse happening to him ,How they do this?
2. My son is being abused in Georgia Prisons and I have written letters all over ther world and in the whole state of Georgia, no one will help and now the prison want let me visit him or want let him get any mail from me, what do I do, they are giving me the run around about him, I haven't heard from him and the last letter out got he said they are stopping his outgoing mail?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
1) The Innocence Project proof that he did not commit the crime would be a basis for them filing a writ to the US Supreme Court and to seek habeas corpus release of your son. If the IP has found this evidence, then the process they usually follow is that their attorneys file a Habeas Corpus petition in the Federal courts if the state supreme court refuses to hear the case.
2) As far as prison abuse, if there is evidence of that occurring, why is the Southern Center for Human Rights and the other civil rights organizations such as the NAACP and ACLU refusing to take his case?
Without looking at your evidence in depth it is impossible to tell you why they are not pursuing his case and you would need to engage a local civil rights attorney to review the evidence to make the determination.
Furthermore, if you cannot get one of these entities to represent him your son can file his Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus and pursue his case himself pro se and the prison has a library that he must be given access to for him to do this.
I am sorry to say that the state laws forbid us from representing anyone from this site, so all we can do is give information to customers to try to help them learn about their options.
So if you have any specific questions for us other than representing your son we would be glad to help you and answer them for you.