Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Can a police officer state in motion of discovery they saw

Customer Question

Can a police officer state in motion of discovery they saw you make drug sale the later say they didn't see u make sale.are those grounds for dismissal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
Did the police officer state that the person was seen making drugs in any pre-arrest documents, like a search warrant application or the Complaint itself? Or only in a request for discovery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was me and this was his statement in motion evidence..only discovery I know of not warrant..they say I sold to informant and they watch from hiding place now he say he didn't see it
Discovery is only sent to the defendant and his lawyer. Motions go to the judge, but the jury never sees them. A motion is not admitted into evidence at trial, and it's not the basis of the charges.
So, an incorrect statement in a pretrial motion typically wouldn't be grounds for dismissing the entire case. However, it could help you at trial to discredit the officer - you'll be able to show that he's given different versions of the same event, or made false statements before, which is a reason the jury shouldn't believe him and they should find you not guilty. All you have to do is establish reasonable doubt. Also, you have the ability to file a response to the motion, pointing out the inaccuracies.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.