How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30162
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a police officer state in motion of discovery they saw

Customer Question

Can a police officer state in motion of discovery they saw you make drug sale the later say they didn't see u make sale.are those grounds for dismissal
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
Did the police officer state that the person was seen making drugs in any pre-arrest documents, like a search warrant application or the Complaint itself? Or only in a request for discovery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was me and this was his statement in motion evidence..only discovery I know of not warrant..they say I sold to informant and they watch from hiding place now he say he didn't see it
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Discovery is only sent to the defendant and his lawyer. Motions go to the judge, but the jury never sees them. A motion is not admitted into evidence at trial, and it's not the basis of the charges.
So, an incorrect statement in a pretrial motion typically wouldn't be grounds for dismissing the entire case. However, it could help you at trial to discredit the officer - you'll be able to show that he's given different versions of the same event, or made false statements before, which is a reason the jury shouldn't believe him and they should find you not guilty. All you have to do is establish reasonable doubt. Also, you have the ability to file a response to the motion, pointing out the inaccuracies.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.