How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27585
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a default judgment entered against me in Ct. I had filed

Customer Question

I had a default judgment entered against me in Ct. I had filed an appearance but nothing afterward. It is slightly over 4 months now but I would like to be able to open this judgment. I was overwhelmed at the time of the proceedings and in therapy etc. Can I do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You can try and file a motion to vacate the default judgment. Simply filing a notice of appearance at the time, would not prevent the default from being entered. You would need to show good cause and explain to the Judge why you failed to respond, when you found out about this and that you have defenses to raise and want to contest the matter and have it decided on the merits. If you can do this and show the Judge you were not of sound mind at the time, he/she may be inclined to vacate it and let you file an answer and defenses.