Wife left to live with her parents "indefinitely" a few days…

Customer Question
Wife left to live with...
Wife left to live with her parents "indefinitely" a few days ago after binging on script drugs and alcohol...had messy interactions with 16 year old daughter before stepping out. Major addiction issues, but she refuses help or acknowledgement of problem. Unless she gets inpatient rehab, I don't want her back...just not sure what my legal rights might. E...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/3/2015
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Have you contacted her parents? Did they say she will remain with them?
I called to make sure she arrived safely....it is walking distance.I haven't asked any questions of them since she left. However, two weeks ago her father announced, over desert, that his two girls were always welcome to move back home and he would even be willing to expand with an addition if necessary. I thought nothing of his comment at the time....
We have been married 25+ years. Two kids. 21 yeR old (out of home) and 16 year old at home with me
Sorry for the delay. At this point, if you do not want her back, you need to file for divorce. You also need to act in the best interest of the child and if the mother is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you likely do not want her around, since it could lead to harm or danger. She can not force you to stay married to her and if she does not want help or to change, you can file for divorce. When you do, you can ask for possession of the home, as well as your daughter and ask that the Judge order she not be allowed to reside in the home or have unsupervised visits with the child, if she poses a threat or danger.
I see. What will the judge measure/consider in determining who stays in the house until all is finalized? How long will the process take to have judge review?
If you have custody of the minor child, the Judge will want the person caring for her to likely remain in the home, as to not disrupt the child's well being.Moreover, she has a place to reside, so it would not make sense at this point to allow her to stay and you have to go rent some place until this is resolved. As far as time, it could take a few weeks from when it is filed until you go before the Judge but you can ask for these things in your complaint.
Recommend the BEST attorney in northern Colorado please
The site does not allow us to give out personal referrals. However, you can use www.martindale.com to find the highest rated attorneys or www.lawyers.com
LegalKnowledge, Attorney