How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27282
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wife left to live with her parents "indefinitely" a few days

Customer Question

Wife left to live with her parents "indefinitely" a few days ago after binging on script drugs and alcohol...had messy interactions with 16 year old daughter before stepping out. Major addiction issues, but she refuses help or acknowledgement of problem. Unless she gets inpatient rehab, I don't want her back...just not sure what my legal rights might. E...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Have you contacted her parents? Did they say she will remain with them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called to make sure she arrived is walking distance.I haven't asked any questions of them since she left. However, two weeks ago her father announced, over desert, that his two girls were always welcome to move back home and he would even be willing to expand with an addition if necessary. I thought nothing of his comment at the time....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have been married 25+ years. Two kids. 21 yeR old (out of home) and 16 year old at home with me
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. At this point, if you do not want her back, you need to file for divorce. You also need to act in the best interest of the child and if the mother is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you likely do not want her around, since it could lead to harm or danger. She can not force you to stay married to her and if she does not want help or to change, you can file for divorce. When you do, you can ask for possession of the home, as well as your daughter and ask that the Judge order she not be allowed to reside in the home or have unsupervised visits with the child, if she poses a threat or danger.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see. What will the judge measure/consider in determining who stays in the house until all is finalized? How long will the process take to have judge review?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
If you have custody of the minor child, the Judge will want the person caring for her to likely remain in the home, as to not disrupt the child's well being.Moreover, she has a place to reside, so it would not make sense at this point to allow her to stay and you have to go rent some place until this is resolved. As far as time, it could take a few weeks from when it is filed until you go before the Judge but you can ask for these things in your complaint.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Recommend the BEST attorney in northern Colorado please
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
The site does not allow us to give out personal referrals. However, you can use to find the highest rated attorneys or