How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I protect my self financially from soon -to- be ex

Customer Question

How do I protect my self financially from soon -to- be ex spouse opening and charging on credit cards ?. Previously, a notice could be published in a certain publication or newspaper. WE both stated to a lawyer that we were separated as of 01/24/2015.
THIS meeting occurred in 02-2015. Divorce papers have not been filed yet, but are in the process.. Rik
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Welcome back, I look forward to working with you again.
At this point, you have to file your legal separation papers to stop the community estate of assets and losses from accruing. CA considers the date of legal separation to be the important date in deciding when the community property ends. You can publish in the classified section "I, your name, is no longer responsible for any debts created by wife's name." But what the court will look to in absolving you from liability for debts is the actual date of separation and the newspaper ad helps prove the date and is a part of the evidence as is the proof of when you ceased living together as husband and wife or when the first legal documents were filed to separate or dissolve the marriage.