My mother in law was on medicad now that she has passed away…

Customer Question
my mother in law was...
my mother in law was on medicad now that she has passed away they what there money back ,they are going back to 2001 can they go back that for .plus they waited 6 month to send us a lettler
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/3/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Medicaid is entitled to recovery of all money paid out on behalf of an insured and this money is to come from the estate of the deceased, NOT FROM THE HEIRS. So, medicaid is entitled to a claim against her estate and you will need to negotiate with Medicaid based on the amount of assets in the estate and many times they agree to take less money.
They can go back for the entire time they provided benefits, but again they will consider the assets of your mother in law's estate to determine what they will negotiate to accept.