How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my father informed me to do what I have to do , because

Customer Question

If my father informed me to do what I have to do for him, because he was to sick to do for himself, is it legal without the power of attorney
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
No, you will need a legal power of attorney (something in writing, and depending on your state, possibly witnessed and/or notarized).If your father no longer has the necessary capacity to make this declaration, you would then need to petition the court for a guardianship or conservatorship over him in order to make these types of decisions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this expensive to petition the court? I live in Kansas, and my Dad is in a hospital in Missouri?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My Dad lives in Kansas, also.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
It isn't necessarily expensive, but it is time consuming (you are taking away your father's very basic civil liberties when you assume a conservatorship - this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but courts want to be very certain when they award this power over someone). Here is a guide to conservatorships in Missouri: here is a link to information regarding the same in Kansas: