If my father informed me to do what I have to do , because…

Customer Question
If my father informed me...
If my father informed me to do what I have to do for him, because he was to sick to do for himself, is it legal without the power of attorney
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/3/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
No, you will need a legal power of attorney (something in writing, and depending on your state, possibly witnessed and/or notarized).If your father no longer has the necessary capacity to make this declaration, you would then need to petition the court for a guardianship or conservatorship over him in order to make these types of decisions.
Is this expensive to petition the court? I live in Kansas, and my Dad is in a hospital in Missouri?
My Dad lives in Kansas, also.
It isn't necessarily expensive, but it is time consuming (you are taking away your father's very basic civil liberties when you assume a conservatorship - this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but courts want to be very certain when they award this power over someone). Here is a guide to conservatorships in Missouri: http://www.mobar.org/uploadedFiles/Home/Publications/Legal_Resources/Brochures_and_Booklets/Probate_Law_Resource_Guide/guardians.pdfAnd here is a link to information regarding the same in Kansas: http://www.ksgprog.org/Publications/Guide%20to%20KS%20Law.pdf