How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem with girl friend. She had a condo, she

Customer Question

Hi, I have a problem with girl friend. She had a condo, she decided to transfer it to me. I payed all the remaining mortgage to the bank in cash. The bank processed it and waiting for the county to finalize the deed process. We couldn't finalize the transfer because the deed process took long time, almost 50 days. In the mean time, me and my girl friend had a problem and decided to stop our relationship. The problem is that, now she is not answering my calls and not responding my demands to finalize the process. Do i have any ground to take the case to court? I have bank evidence for making the money transfer, she sent me documents to be signed, there is one person between us who knows our deal.
Thank you so much for your help,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
This is going to be a difficult case, courts rely on writings to control the outcome of these types of cases.Fortunately you have a lot of circumstantial evidence to support your position (the payment information from your bank, the partially completed transfer, and the testimony from the third party (hopefully it is not all hearsay)).You can also sue for what are called "equitable" remedies to help minimize your damages "in the alternative" (if the court rules against you on the title question). A claim for "unjust enrichment" would require her to repay you for the money that you invested in the property.However, these types of cases are especially good candidates for mediation. Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.