I was 14 or 15 and my niece was 4 or 5 that was 9 years ago…

Customer Question
I was 14 or 15...
I was 14 or 15 and my niece was 4 or 5 that was 9 years ago she kept asking people to do things with her and I said no but finally gave in it only happened one time and I had forgotten about it lately upon depression I've been forced to talk about things that happened to me and how it affected me and I was terribly hurt when I remembered what happened can I get in trouble for it now
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/3/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state did this happen in?
Georgia
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry to say that this is serious in GA, because the statute of limitations has not yet expired on this incident. The statute of limitations in GA for this is 7 years AFTER the victim reaches 16 years old, which means if she was 4 or 5 at the time, she is 13 or 14 now and you could still be prosecuted. Your therapist is bound by client confidentiality, but if the niece gets older and reports this, it is a felony and a serious felony at that as it is punishable by a minimum of 1 year and maximum 20 years in prison and because of the age of the victim, the GA courts generally treat that more severe and you are likely looking at 10-20 years in prison if she files a complaint about this within the statute of limitations.