How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold the family home post divorce. The escrow made out $100k

Customer Question

I sold the family home post divorce. The escrow made out $100k to both my ex and I. It was held in my ex'S attorneys trust pending a dispute resolution (last Friday) as I was asking for 50%reimbursement for repairs necessary to sell the home. We lost in court. My attorney has an intern handle this situation. To say I am unhappy is correct. I emailed my attorney this morning that I was going to my ex's attorney office to get my $50k but my attorney had a courier get the check and had written out to both she AND I from the other attorneys trust account. She is clearly worried about getting paid by me with doing this. I have not even seen the final bill/accounting. I have paid her $ 200,000 to date in fees as this was one of those horrific divorces. I am really appalled that she sent me by email a request for a meeting but tacked that she had the check and wanted her money. I will meet with her, but is also want control of my $50k and need to know my rights?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you find yourself under this much stress, and that you feel that you no longer trust your attorney. As far as your funds are concerned, I am afraid that I will have to provide you with an answer that won't sound favorable. Legally speaking if your attorney did not yet receive payment, she can withhold funds until you both agree to her compensation if that compensation was not discussed in advance. As such, if she got your money, you cannot demand that she turn it over because even Rules of Professional Conduct in Washington state do not bar such action (please review them at this link below:
Dimitry, Esq.