Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Oh Im just googling . I left a partnership and

Customer Question
oh Im just googling for...
oh Im just googling for answers. I left a partnership and basically whatever is being said has people deciding to no longer associated with me!lol. I left because one of my partners was a borderline and borderlines can tell a story ( even if its completely made up) and convince most people. Just sad. I want to rebuild my business in same town and it's just going to make it harder. PS. I left because shes a borderline
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/2/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, what specifically is your question? I have read the facts but am unclear on what information that you are seeking. Please advise!
Someway to prevent slandering my name. What ever is being said I have seen a vicious yelp review that has since been revised and acceptable, to receiving a text message from someone yesterday that they no longer choose to associate with me. I'm concern that the field I am in will be under the impression I did something very cruel. I would like to build my practice again and am just worried that word will get around and effect my business. From what I have earned online that I would have to have medical damaged or that I couldn't get jobs because of what is being said. It is too early to tell if and when it prevents me from getting jobs. Besides as I mentioned before my ex business partner is a Borderline and is extremely convincing when telling stories. I have no idea what's being said though.
Was that yelp review removed or is it still up? And was it put up by the past partner, or someone unrelated?
By a customer, it was BAD. However, by chance my husband saw it and messaged her that it didn't seem like a very helpful review and didn't say anything about the business at all. He also said he would be hesitant to go to a business that was sharing inside information with their customers. She wrote back that that it is a small community and nothing came from the owners. She revised the review and it it no longer damaging. There is a picture of me and me two partners with my face cut out. I do have the correspondence between my husband and her as they messaged back and forth on yelp. It's silly to say she didn't get her info from my partners but through the community, when it has to start from those in the know.
She was not aware it was my husband. Yesterday a mutual friend, myself and partners... sent me a text that he didn't feel he could work with me after all he was told, with proof and witnesses
Thank you for your follow-up. If that review was modified, technically the injury was removed, although you could potentially sue her for past damages. As far as suing your past partners, you must have evidence, not just suspicion that the parties:
1. made false or defamatory statements
2. of or about you
3. that were communicated to third parties AND
4. caused you damages, specifically financial damages.
The burden is on you to prove that such communication took place and that they are liable--it is possible, but without some proof that they made these statements, it will be hard to be successful. Defamation is one of the hardest suits to win, and without direct evidence it is highly unlikely to prevail.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Yes, I pretty much attained than from google searching. I don't want to sue at all...sounds like a huge nightmare. Thank you for verifying slander/defamation case requirements. Have a good night.
Thank you for your follow-up.
You are most welcome, truly! Please let me know if I can ever assist you in any other way. Otherwise, kindly do not forget to positively rate, and also have a good night as well!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney