My ex nagged and nagged me about my old jeep. She kept looking…

Customer Question
My ex nagged and nagged...
My ex nagged and nagged me about my old jeep. She kept looking up new cars and kept nagging and nagging for me to get rid of my jeep to get a brand new car. I said that college students do not get brand new cars. The nagging never stopped. We had lived together for 2 years, and I had been with her in 3 states due to her being in the Air Force. I had to live with the person every day, and I couldn't not take it anymore and gave in. We are on a lease together now. She is an officer in the Air Force, and a physician assistant - making way more than a part time worker/full time student like myself. I had been making these lease payments up until today, because I did not have the money. I even put $1000 down after selling my jeep for $1800. I had that reliable jeep for like 7 years, and it was all I owned. I truly did not want to get rid of it and get a new car. The ex said she would swap me for her old car for the new one we leased. I was cool with that. Now she does not want to give up her car for a car that she does not want (same situation I was in with my jeep). Now she wants to fly here to take the car and leave me with nothing. She makes what I'd be lucky to make in a week in a day. She has the dog that had been like my daughter to me for a year and a half. Now she would have two cars and I would have completely nothing. Less than such, considering my jeep is gone. My $1800 Jeep was the most expensive thing I owned. She just recently bought a $2400 vacuum and an $800 knife set since this car was leased. I have been struggling to pay for a car than I did not want, and she has the money to do whatever she wants. I have been driving for 12 years, and I have had a car for the entire time. I need to know what I can do. Frankly, I would just want my jeep and this thing to have never happened. I was with her for a year and a half while she was enlisted, and a year as an officer. Now she has everything made, and I am about to have not even a cheap set of wheels because of her. We lived together for around 2 years, and I traveled with her from Texas, to Florida, and to New Mexico as she got stationed around the country. We were never married, but practically were given the conditions - just no paperwork or rings. She was an E5 when I met her, and now is an O2. Because she is prior enlisted, she is making more around O3 pay. Is there anything I can do to prevent myself from being car-less?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/2/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Unfortunately as you were not married, you do not have any legal recourse here to force your ex to compensate you for your vehicle or pay any form of support.Regarding the title to the vehicle you purchased together, you are each equally entitled to ownership of the vehicle, and each equally obligated on the payments. This creates a legal fiction (it is impossible for two people who are no longer in a relationship to "share" a car), but you can demand the sale of the car, and even force the sale by filing what is called a "partition action" with the court.You can try to negotiate a buy out of your half of the car with your ex by sending her a demand letter, or trying to get a mediation (you can do a mediation over the phone) to resolve this dispute, but you will want something in writing to confirm your understanding as to the obligation to pay the remainder of the debt as well as your remaining rights to the vehicle. (Keep in mind, even if the two of you come to an agreement over the car, unless she refinances the vehicle in her name alone, you will remain liable to the lender if there is a default - you can still sue her for default on your contract later, but the lender has a primary claim against you as a borrower until the loan is satisfied).To find a mediator, you can contact your local bar association, they can put you in touch with mediators (you probably want someone with a background in family law, although make sure you are clear when speaking with the mediator that this is not a family law dispute as the law is very different for that type of relationship). The mediator can then take the next step in contacting your ex and trying to set up a mediation session either in person or via telephone.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney