Is it illegal to troll a Utah Facebook group? The post included…

Customer Question
Is it illegal to troll...
Is it illegal to troll a Utah Facebook group?
The post included kids for sale, animal abuse, taking our photos and reporting them, selling someones dead grandma and just being overall a nuisance.
The majority of the trolls don't even live in Utah, what can we do about them trolling our group?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2015
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 3 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. No, and any law that would outlaw it would be unconstitutional. Trolling, being distasteful, offensive, hateful, etc... is legal. It could be a violation of Facebook policies, but it's not illegal and not something that the police would get involved in.
Now there are some crimes that could occur IF it goes to far. Perpetrators can be criminally prosecuted for criminal threats, cyberstalking, cyberharassment, sexual invasions of privacy and bias intimidation. They can be sued for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
But generally speaking if something is known to be trolling (i.e. not meant to be taken seriously) then it's not going to be actionable criminally, as it would be protected by the constitution.
I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!