Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I own a service company and sewer cleaning. On 5/29/2015

Customer Question
I own a service company...
I own a service company for drain and sewer cleaning. On 5/29/2015 we were at a customers business trying to unclog a sewer. We were keeping the customer informed of all the work performed, and what we were pulling from the their sewer line After we were finished working the line, it was 6 hours later, all approved by the customer. We go by an hourly charge and the customer refused to pay us the total amount. She only paid $200.00. The bill totaled $793.00 and that was cut down to try to accommodate her. I told by tech to collect the $200.00, but I have not put it in the bank. Should I send it back and take her to small claims court. Can I put the $200.00 in and still take her to court? What is the law for this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2015
Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
You can accept the $200 and still collect on the rest in small claims court. You just need to make it clear to her that your acceptance of the $200 partial payment is not altering the contract or the amount she owes pursuant to the bill.
My suggestion would be to send a demand letter for the full amount, and in the letter state that you are going to deposit the $200, and that doing so will reduce her balance to $593. Give her a few days or a couple of weeks to respond. If she doesn't, you will have to sue her in small claims court.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney