Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have an inogen one G3 concentrator weight is about 4 lbs.

Customer Question
I use it at night...
I have an inogen one G3 concentrator weight is about 4 lbs. I use it at night. Can I carry this on the plane and put it under the seat in front of me? What are the procedures for going through security?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2015
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. And you are the only person who can help me get credit by giving me a positive rating before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that.

Also, if you want me to be your personal TSA Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of your question and I will be sure to answer your questions as your personal Expert.

Travelers with medical conditions that require the use of oxygen machines can travel with these items through the TSA security check points. Whether an specific airline allows such items, however, is something only the airline itself can tell you. Generally speaking, most airlines do allow these to be carried on the flight, so long as it fits in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you.

Here is information about traveling specifically with oxygen machines: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/portable-oxygen.

Here is additional information from the TSA blog that speaks to this issue as well: http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/04/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-with-portable.html. Some of it is repetitive from the other link I provided, but it also strongly recommends calling the airline to find out if the airline itself allows for an oxygen machine to be carried on board.

One thing to also consider doing is contacting TSA Cares, which is a helpline for travelers with medical conditions and physical disabilities: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/portable-oxygen.

As far as procedures are concerned, it all depends on how this machine connects to you. If it cannot be disconnected easily, you will go through a pat down process and the machine will be examined. If, however it can be disconnected from you, then you will go through security as you normally would, and the machine will go through the X-ray, if it will not harm the machine, or hand/eye inspection. All of those details are contained in the links I provided you, above.

I hope that answers your questions. If so, please kindly remember to rate my customer service before leaving this site. You are the only person who can make sure I get credit for doing my job today. So please do not forget to do that for me. Otherwise, it is as if I never assisted you. Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer