Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am a volunteer that helps set up the swine barn kids.

Customer Question

I am a volunteer that helps set up the swine barn for 4h kids. i am one of what is 2 superintendents. Duties are to set up the pens for the pigs and watch over the barn during the 4 day county fair. At the end of the fair we clena the barn up. The barn is operated and owned by the County fair board. They rent the barn out during the year and it houses a couple of vehicles and boats. I didn't know at the time but it is rented out until July 1st. I asked a friend on the fair board if I could paint in the building and if the fair board would pay for the paint but he said maybe they could discuss at next meeting and apply for a grant. I then said I would donate the paint. Even though it was locked I went in an open window and started painting. My wife and son were with me. I am at a loss why I thought I should go in there when it was locked. I do not know whose vehicles are housed in the building. I have tried to contact the fair board members but they are not answering. I am thinking they have contacted attorneys to see what their liabilities might be. This is in Minnesota, do I need an attorney for trespassing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no former criminal record, Very depressed about this and embarrassed.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
If you never received permission to enter the barn and paint, etc., then it is possible that you could be charged with trespassing. However, if you have a reasonable explanation as to the reason you did enter --- being that it was a misunderstanding --- the judge may give you a break since you were there trying to make improvements, instead of causing damage to the property.
You may just want to wait and see if you are charged, and if you are, you can then seek an attorney to help you prepare a defense to the charges.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I do not want to get my friend that I called in trouble and will plead guilty rather for him to get in any trouble. I think I told him I was going to go and paint but ( but can't recall for sure) I don't kn ow he remembered that it was still rented out
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
If you were charged, it is likely that a lawyer could work out a deal with the prosecutor to minimize the penalty. You can probably resolve this with a small fine.