How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I started this job I got a $2000 housing allowance that

Customer Question

When I started this job I got a $2000 housing allowance that would be deducted from my paycheck. Then they said they were putting our allowance in with our reg and OT hours worked and that we had to work 45hrs a week to get our housing allowance. 8 months later I get a call from HR saying I owe them back $13000 in back rent for company provided housing.
I received all the document that I signed from the employer and I ask myself, if they have all the documentation, why they I did not deduct from my check at that time and all of a sudden they want $13000
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Please keep in mind that I do not know if their deduction is correct or not, but the reason you received the documentation about the deduction is because the employer would be violating state law if they deducted those funds without your initial knowledge or consent. They cannot withhold your complete paychecks as that would violate the law. Now, as far as the housing allowance is concerned, you may want to contact your state's Department of State, claim that the employer changed terms without consent, and ask them to investigate. Typically if they hired you under the condition that this housing allowance is provided without an hourly limitation, they cannot change it UNLESS you agree to changes, which means that you now have an additional basis to potentially challenge this claim that you owe them money (specifically that you never consented to the changes in writing).
Dimitry, Esq.