How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118681
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There are many twist and turns so this is the short version.

Customer Question

There are many twist and turns so this is the
short version. The molesting happed in CA. He lives in CA and i do not. At the age of 6ish my step father molested me for 5ish years. It stopped when they split up. I dont recall if i said anything at the time. I supressed everything and around age 16 everything flooded back. At 16 i spoke up and nothing. At 21 i spoke up once again and even acused him (to him) and nothing. 40 years after it started, he wrote an email, confessing to my mother. I canot even wrap my arms around all the negatve ways his actions all those years ago and again 40 years later have affected my life. I was told, leagally the law can no longer bring charges but what about civil. Can i sue him as a way to hold him accountable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Unfortunately, the Statute of Limitation for this type of sexual / personal injury is 2 years from the time it took place, so I am afraid that Statute of Limitations has also expired for civil claim.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is not true. It would be nice if it was that simple, but then we wouldnt need to ask a so called experts like your self. What about the discovery doctrine. (Note the period.....its a statement not a question). I cant believe this website gets aeay eith charging for this
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.
I have provided you with correct and accurate answer and I am very sorry that the law might not be favorable in your situation.
I also requested another experienced legal expert to review my answer and this other expert agreed that the answer is correct.
Please let me know if you have any related follow up question and if not, please positively rate my answer.
Thank you!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Your expert asked me to review his reply to your situation.
While the discovery doctrine may have worked for you at one point and CA would recognize suppressed memory, your memory came back when you were 16 and 21 and you still waited 40 years, so his response regarding the statute of limitations is still correct I am sorry to say.