How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I met with attorney toc discuss my brothers estate.

Customer Question

I met with attorney toc discuss my brothers estate. he has done nothing in 93 days bur bill me for 2&1/2 hours for talking to him,and his accepting the job, Should I pay this billaty $150 per hour?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
An attorney is entitled to bill for their time discussing a matter with the client (so those charges are legitimate).Regarding whether or not the attorney is diligently working on your brother's estate - that is a matter that is far more fact specific. Many cases happen in ebbs and flows, where very little will happen for long periods of time followed by a lot of activity then very little.If you are concerned that your attorney is not diligently handling the matter, you can request that they prepare a status report for you detailing their work on the case and their expected course of action. Be aware that the attorney will charge you for this (it does take attorney time to prepare these statements, and that for most non-commercial clients it is unusual to prepare monthly status reports as attorneys try to conserve their client's funds), but if you are concerned about the current status of your brother's estate, that is the best way to follow up.You can send your attorney a written request for a status report (sending a quick email and asking for a status update will likely result in an emailed response which is going to give you a quicker (albeit shorter, less detailed) response, but cost you less money than a request sent by USPS which is likely to be responded to by a formal status letter from your attorney that will take him more time, and in turn cost you more).There is nothing wrong with asking your attorney about the bill, and it is important to be a savvy consumer of legal services, so do not be embarrassed about asking, but I would not advise withholding payment unless you have something that shows the amount being billed is clearly incorrect (they are billing for work that either was not performed or was clearly unnecessary, in both cases, you would want to initiate a fee dispute with the attorney - send them a letter notifying them of the dispute, and be prepared to go through a dispute process (often through the local bar association where your attorney would need to justify his billing)).