How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend that apparently unknowingly overstayed his

Customer Question

I have a friend that apparently unknowingly overstayed his visa and now they want $1600.00 dollars of which he does not have...he is in Kenya and trying to get back to the US....does he have any recourse to be able to get home and then pay the fee he needs once he returns??
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of practice experience, including dealing with issues like this one. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
Unfortunately, you are dealing with the laws of Kenya and if they are requiring him to pay the money, then he will have to pay the money or otherwise sneak out of the country as he will not be allowed to leave otherwise.
With that being the case, his only viable option that is still in play in country would be to go to the US Embassy and request assistance. Our diplomats there may be able to assist with Kenyan diplomats in having the fee waived as long as he leaves immediately. The US gives billions in aid to Kenya. Their government should not want to jeopardize that over $1600.
That is really his best option under the circumstances.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Please rate my answer positively as well so that I can receive credit for my work.
Best wishes going forward!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!

Related Legal Questions