I recently filed divorce and i have an insurance policy.

Customer Question
I recently filed for a...
I recently filed for a divorce and i have an insurance policy. i am paying $3000 a month in alamony nad she gets $3000 penson and i also pay $1700 a month for a year for the house we owned. My cquestion is that she put in the divorce that i had to keep her as the beneficiary on my insurance policy, can i change that?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
5/29/2015
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 3 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, you object and oppose her request that she be kept as the beneficiary of your insurance policy. Of course, if you divorce and are paying her all this money, you likely do not want to keep her and would rather have the policy benefit someone else, like a child or other relative. Moreover, you may want to stop paying on the plan, if you do not have a need for it. Of course, you do not want to cancel or do anything unless ordered by the court at this time but you are under no obligation to simply consent and agree to making her the beneficiary. She will need to provide a basis as to why she should remain and you can present and argue as well, that the decision should be up to you, to keep the policy and who to make the beneficiary. At the end of the day, the Judge will have the final say, if this can not be settled and decide between you both.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.