While looking claim,recenty purchased, we found

Customer Question
While looking for mining claim,recenty...
While looking for mining claim,recenty purchased, we found a x-MTV vidio set. It might of been last
years tour stuff, many wheels useless in the desert. It was federal land and after the party ended. The two johns many square staging was left. The only clue was a comany name on a door, they probably mabe the stuff. Who decided to leave it behind? I don not care, can i claim salvage rights see a judge, or fill out
forms to legaly remove objects for my claim?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
5/28/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
No, there isn't a way for you to get this property legally. It is possible you could remove the property and hope that nobody comes looking for it (hope that it really was truly abandoned and nobody will return), but the basic rule is "if it isn't yours, don't touch it."Salvage rights are a maritime law principle that apply to wrecks at sea, they don't apply to things left in the desert, and while you likely would be doing the environment a favor by cleaning up after a company that left a bunch of garbage out there, the proper way to deal with this would be to notify the BLM or Forest Service (whichever government entity is responsible for the land you found it on), and allow them to take appropriate enforcement action (usually fining the company for littering, and clean up costs).