LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I am in possession of a bed, tv ,and other items left behind

Customer Question

I am in possession of a bed, tv ,and other items left behind in my home. It has been over a month and a half since the items were left in my home. My question is who legally has the right to these items.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Did these belong to the tenant? Have you contacted the owner? If so, do they plan on getting these items?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They belong to an old friend who has not contacted me until yesterday. He stored the items in my home and is now asking about them.
Thank you for the additional information. If you allowed him to store the items, then he would have a legal basis to keep them there, until you gave him notice otherwise. Now, if you had provided him with written notice, advising that he has 30 days to collect these or else they would be considered abandoned and you would dispose of them, take possession or sell them, then he would have a legal right to ask for them back. If you told him you wanted them out, you can also charge him a reasonable storage fee, if the favor you did him is now over. Leaving them for over a month and a half without any contact or notice by either party, would not just give you a legal right, so at this point, he could retrieve them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help I have told him he is more than welcome to everything that belongs to him once I have an signed agreement that he will pay for a ring bought on my credit. I made the mistake of helping him buy a wedding ring for his the fiancé and now that they have split up im stuck paying for it so was only trying to get some kind of agreement worked out.
I do understand. However, you can not simply keep and withhold from him his personal property, which was never part of the agreement with the ring. Yes, I know you help him out and he is taking advantage but you can not withhold this stuff since you allowed him to keep it there with no strings attached.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!