How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28331
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a property manager. I have a tenant/friend who, without

Customer Question

I am a property manager. I have a tenant/friend who, without my knowledge recorded some of our "friendship" conversations. He is being evicted for non payment, but has sent me threatening emails he will make public these recordings; which I knew nothing about. He is going through a divorce, his business has suffered due to his drinking/drug use and now he is attacking me. His last email stated "What no response" lol. His email stated "he took the liberty to record our converations to protect his business and family". Please advise. I have been at my job for 20 years, in the real estate industry for over 34 years, and he has threatened he would go to my company, the owner of the property/his wife to let "people know what I am really like". I need to know what I need to do? Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What he is failing to realize is that what he did and is doing, is criminal and he can be arrested and charged. California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. As such, you can go to the police, file a report and turn over all the information that you have. They can investigate and seize the recording as well.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!