How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm looking on how to handle an insurance claim

Customer Question

I'm looking for information on how to handle an insurance claim made by my husband's ex girlfriend using his information and signing his name to a check without his knowledge or consent...we are working with the insurance company but they seem to keep giving us different people to talk to with no real plan of action to correct this issue
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.So the ex girlfriend forged your husband's signature on a claim and/or a check issued to him? What state did that happen in? What information can I provide for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes from what we have gathered the insurance company advised us that to claim was filed in 2012 they provided us the name of the person who filed the claim which came to be my husband's ex girlfriend my husband moved out of their home in 2010 we got married in 2011 and the claims were filed in 2012 my husband and myself we're leaving at a different property and his address was no longer at that oldamage property, this occurred in the state of new mexico we have verification that he did not reside at that property and the insurance company gave us a copy of the check that we wish you to my husband and showed a signature that was not his
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank youForgery is a crime. And I suggest that he can file a police report on the forgery and subsequently what appears to be theft of funds. I suggest he can file the police report and also talk to the District Attorney about filing a statement of charges for the crimes. She would then be served with a summons to appear in criminal court. While the insurance company holds an interest in trying to recoup the money, your husband is the "victim" here and he needs to have the charges brought.