CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My wife was assaulted by a man inside a Laundromat after the

Customer Question

my wife was assaulted by a man inside a Laundromat after the man was arguing with the owner of the Laundromat. witnesses described the suspect after he ran away. police was called. No arrests have been made nor has my wife been contacted by a detective. this happened last Monday May18, 2015. can the owner be held accountable?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes - the theory of liability is known as "premises liability" and is based on the owner having a property or condition that places guests at a higher risk of assault. This is not terribly common in public facilities (storefronts, etc.) and is more often found in apartment complexes where landlords fail to provide adequate locking doors, lighting, or gates to the complex in a dangerous area.If you can show that the property condition actually contributed to your wife's assault, you may be able to mount a claim against the owner (but first continue following up with the police department - it is difficult to find perpetrators for these crimes, but police are diligent in these cases and they genuinely do try to resolve them, even if it takes some time).The statute of limitations for premises liability in California is 2 years from the date of the injury - so you have some time before you need to take any action civilly.