How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On friday I received a notice from the court specifying my

Customer Question

On friday I received a notice from the court specifying my unlawful detainer trial date to be tomorrow. In the notice, it said that I had to have paid the Jury fees and such within 5 days prior to trial if I wanted a trial by jury. I was not given notice w/ enough time to pay jury fees. After researching, I found that Plaintiff is supposed to serve the UD 150 or request for a trial date, and after that the court is supposed to schedule the actual trial date. I have yet to begin discovery, because I am representing myself and I am having to research everything. Is there anything I can do, like motion for a continuance for improper notice, or is that it, I am forced to have a bench trial tomorrow morning? Please any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you were not served with this in a timely manner and/or the plaintiff has failed to follow and comply with the rules of the court, you can file a motion or ask the court, to reset the court date, to allow you time to prepare. If you are representing yourself, you are held to the same standard as an attorney, so if you need more time to simply research and prepare, you need to show good cause as to why the continuance should be granted. However, if the other party has failed to act properly the delay is a result of their actions and not giving timely notice to allow you to prepare, you do have a greater chance to ask for the continuance. Ideally, you could file the motion and send it to all parties but if the hearing is today, then you can file it in open court with the clerk and hand all parties a copy.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.