How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My family were victims of a home invasion, they stole our brand

Customer Question

my family were victims of a home invasion, they stole our brand new 2015 chrysler 200, estimated damages to vehicle around 4k, our insurance deductible is 500$, they also stole our iPad gen 2, my set of keys to my honda civic, i now have to change the ignition and alarm which will set me back around 600$, because of this we change our locks 130$ and installed ADT system 249$ plus 50$ a month monitoring fee, there has been 1 arrest so far in our case with the police its still open to investigation, the emotional and financial stress has effected us drastically, is there anything that can be done as far as a lawsuit to either the 17yr old felon or his family
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardI am sorry to hear of this horrific incident you have endured.I suggest, that you can sue the family of the 17 year old. It is also possible that the criminal court upon conviction can order restitution to your family for the loss, but you would need to sue civilly for your pain and suffering
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
I suggest, you talk to the prosecuting attorney about restitution. And you will want to discuss a lawsuit with a local civil litigation attorney. You will want to be sure that the parents have assets to collect on should you win your case. In other words, will the juice be worth the squeeze.