How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He stoppd paying spousel support what do i do?

Customer Question

he stoppd paying spousel support what do i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney in Tennessee. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
If you have a court order directing him to pay spousal support and he has failed to do that, then you have a right to file a motion for contempt of court and ask the judge to order him to pay as ordered, and to fine or jail him until he complies.
Usually, the judge will give the paying ex-spouse time to get the payments up to date - - a month or so - - and then will take more severe action if the payments don't resume as ordered.
Thus, to get the issue before the judge, you'll need to file the motion for contempt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do i need a lawjer for that? and does he have to pay for the lawyer
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
There's no requirement to have a lawyer to file the motion for contempt, but you generally can seek your attorney's fees as a result of being forced to file this motion. Thus, it's probably best to have a lawyer file this and seek your attorneys fees as part of your requested relief.