How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced 20 years ago. My Ex-wife hasn't re-married

Customer Question

I was divorced 20 years ago. My Ex-wife hasn't re-married since and continues to use my sir-name. She is (and has been) in default from several entities not related to me for several years, and is being sought. Is there any way that I can legally remove my sir-name from her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 2 years ago.
Hello there --
I wish I could tell you something differently here, but she can legally use whatever surname that she chooses to use. In fact, the divorce laws in every state give the woman a choice whether or not to keep her married name (those laws are in consideration of any children of the marriage and in many instances if there were minor children at the time of the divorce, the mother would like to keep the same last name to cut down on confusion at school, etc, but the law is not limited to just women with minor children -- it is applicable to all divorcing women). The only thing you can do is continue to tell anyone who calls you that you were divorced 20 years ago and then if any one particular creditor continues to call after the first time you tell them this, you should report the creditor to the federal trade commission at -- they oversee the actions of creditors and collections in the US
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on any of these points. If not, can you please press a positive rating underneath this ANSWER box so I will be paid for my time assisting you tonight. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below in the ratings section (the middle smile or star, the fourth smile or star or the fifth smile or star buttons). Pressing a positive rating will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you tonight by paying me a small portion of the deposit/payment made by you.
Expert:  Legalease replied 2 years ago.
Hello again --
Can I answer any additional questions that you might have as a follow up to your original questions? I note that you viewed the answer I posted a while back and you have still not pressed a positive rating underneath an ANSWER box below. WHile I truly wish that I could have given you the means in the law to stop her from using your last name so long after your divorce, those means simply do not exist in the law and I did research that point and spent time to get you to the correct answer in this matter. I realize that many people do not like to pay for what might be considered bad news as an answer to their question, but the answer that I gave to you in the law is correct and I ask that you do not "shoot the messenger" (ME) for delivering the correct answer but one that is also bad news for what you would have liked to accomplish. I truly am paid NOTHING for the research I did or the answer I put together for you above unless you press either the third (middle) face or star ("OK Service") or the fourth smile/star to the right or the fifth smile/star to the right in the ratings section below (we do not receive paychecks and are paid only when the customer presses at least the OK Service rating below). Pressing the third, fourth or fifth smile face under this ANSWER box to pay me for my time will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you on this question.