Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was granted my inheritance early which was a house. my mother

Customer Question
took me out of the...
I was granted my inheritance early which was a house. my mother took me out of the will so I will receive nothing else the house was put in my wife's name and mine. but now we're looking at a divorce. in the state of Missouri if there a divorce neither spouse can receive property that's been inherited from the other spouse. Is that right?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
5/24/2015
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
You are correct that inherited property is separate and non-marital property AS LONG AS it is not commingled with the other spouse (which means to put the spouse's name on it). Thus, when you put your wife's name on the property deed, it became marital property and she owns 1/2 of the property (unless the deed designates some other ownership percentage).
Roger, Attorney