How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19625
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived with a lady year. Then I moved out, I took one

Customer Question

I lived with a lady for a year. Then I moved out, I took one pick-up load of my stuff. When I went to get some of the rest of my stuff, she band from coming on her property. The one most important thing I had to get was a German Shunck, ( a china hatch ). I bought it when I was in Germany while in the Army. Long story short, she SOLD it without my knowing it. She wouldn't let get it back before selling it. Their was some other small things she kept and some thing she destroyed. I have pictures of that.
At the time I was living in Sioux City,Ia. and she is in South Sioux City, Ne. I would like to sue her for theft. All this happened in spring 2014. I now live in Brighton,Co. Can I do anything about this and about how much would it cost me?
Thank You,
Michael XXXXXX
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
You can file lawsuit for return of your personal property or the value of the property. You have to file the lawsuit where she lives. You can accomplish it without being physically present in Nebraska. Most Courts now offer telephone hearings. You can ask the Clerk's Office of the County where you want to file the lawsuit what the procedure is. You can also obtain complaint forms online.
I do not know how much it would ultimately cost you to litigate this case. That would depend on how far you want to go and what the filing fees are in Nebraska. For information on Nebraska Courts, click on the link below: