How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34970
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband needs to go to rehab but refuses help says that

Customer Question

My husband needs to go to rehab but refuses help says that he is fine . hes loosing his family's business that has been around for 66 years- had the pol8police called on him several times for his bizzare behavior- arrested twice- two 72 hour holds. & question is how would I go about being able to force him into an inpatient program? Like have him committed . please help, even if he hates me for it i can't just sit around & do nothing.
Thank you ,
Kerensa leclair
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am truly sorry for this condition...tell me, is this a medical issue? Has he been diagnosed with dementia?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hes using meth. When he gets out of jail or ward B hes fine until hes alone & then it just gets worse & worse. He asked me for my eye ball once... He can get very violent... Its a meth induced psychosis- but the docs said hes nowshowing signs of schizophrenia- hes never been to rehab in his life - i really think it would fix everything..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He thinks in out to get him steal his business , but I only have his best interest at heart. I just need to be pointedin the right direction.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
This is a tough one. Generally speaking the court will not institutionalize for addiction. The reason is that it is not a true mental health illness.
You could have a local attorney file a request to the court and declare him incompetent (so he becomes a ward of the court) but typically the court will not due this for addiction. Still, may be worth a try.
The other option is to report the criminal misconduct to police and ask the arrest...though this can have severe collateral consequences.
So perhaps having a local attorney file a motion with the court to declare him incompetent is the best choice you have.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the court will commit him when you ask , but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.