Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I AM CONCERNED WITH MY WORK PLACE BEING RECORDED BOTH

Customer Question

HELLO, I AM CONCERNED WITH MY WORK PLACE BEING RECORDED BOTH VIDEO AND AUDIO, I WORK AT A CAR DEALERSHIP THAT HAS CAMERIAS BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE ONE OF MY BOSSES WILL MENTION THINGS THAT THE 4 OF US WOMEN HAVE TALKED ABOUT EITHER THAT DAY OR PRIOR. HE HAS MENTIONED IF YOU PUT THE VIDEO WITH THE AUDIO IT IS WORSE THEN WHEN JUST WATCHING THE VIDEO. AFTER HEARING THIS THE 4 OF US ARE VERY DISTURBED AND FEEL AS IF WE HAVE BEEN VIOLATED. OUR CONVERSATIONS WERE PERSONAL AND AT TIMES GRAPHIC JOKING BETWEEN US AS FRIENDS WOULD DO.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
In Pennsylvania, it is a felony for a private citizen (meaning not law enforcement) to record a conversation without the consent of ALL parties to the conversation. Just working there doesn't mean you consent to have your conversations recorded unless they explicitly told you they were doing that (and it would be in their best interests to have written consent).
Also, it's virtually impossible to get consent from everyone who enters and shops at the dealership, so the cameras would still be illegal. You could actually notify police and ask them to intervene. Or you could show your employer the statute and let him know that they could go to jail for this. 18 Pa. Cons. Stat., Section 5704(4).
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.