How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is James . My bank cross collateralized my home and

Customer Question

Hi this is James . My bank cross collateralized my home and business loans and wouldn't make us a payment plan last year except through bankruptcy. The plans were too much and we had to stop making payments. Before that they had forced us to sign a new loan and didn't give us time to look at it. We think they did this to force us to cross collateralize our home and business. Now they have foreclosed which we feel is the original intent. Is it legal for them to do this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Based only on what you have posted, this sounds as if it is a case of predatory lending - you should look into hiring a lawyer as most attorneys that specialize in this type of litigation will take on these cases (at least those with merit) on a contingency basis - meaning they will advance their services and costs of litigation in exchange for a portion of your recovery (so you can sue the bank, either as part of your bankruptcy in an adversary proceeding, or outside of your bankruptcy in state court, without paying out of pocket).Due to the complexity of these claims, I highly recommend that you retain a plaintiff's lawyer (also called trial attorneys). Fortunately the majority of these attorneys will provide you with a free consultation, and again, many will represent you on a contingency basis (they will advance the costs of litigation and legal services in exchange for a portion of your successful settlement or judgment). You can find local attorneys using the State and Local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Related Legal Questions