How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received a wage garnishment notice and the loan was from 2001 a

Customer Question

I just received a wage garnishment notice and the loan was from 2001 and in my maiden name. The company sold it out to another financial firm in 2003 and I had a payment arrangement with in 2001 in 2003 they wanted a lump sum and I told them I was unable to pay. They wrote it off and put it on my credit. Then I get a notice from Atlantic Financial that they were a recovery company and they demanded full payment 10 years later. Now I received notice that the court granted a wage garnishment of my pay and they are deducting 460.00 every two weeks that is over a third of my pay. What can I do to stop this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Wage garnishment laws are specific to each state jurisdiction. Some states do not permit wage garnishment at all. Others have various exemptions from garnishment. Without knowing the state in which you are employed, I cannot answer your question. Even with that information, I may need considerably more details to provide a competent answer -- but, I'll try my best.
In which state jurisdiction are you employed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have changed my mind. please do not charge me the 58.00 I am going to need that money since they already are taking almost half of my check. I didnt know how to cancel my request.