How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41027
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife had inherited some land from her parents after her

Customer Question

My wife had inherited some land from her parents after her dad's passing. Now a pipeline co. wants to place a pipeline across the land. From one end to the other, 3513.06 ', and 213 rods. Also asking for a 50' permanent easement for the whole 3513.06'. We are in Wood county, Texas. What do we need to look out for & to expect? What is the value of this in dollars?? Thank you.... Chris S.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
Honestly you need to have a local appraisal on this land.In general pipe line easements have gone up dramatically.
You can see by the reference here that these have gone for up almost a million dollars in some situations here in Texas.It is worth ti to you to have this appraised in order to have a professional basis to set and argue a price.
This could be worth six figures here easy depending on the value of the wells nearby.The prices are up all over Texas for this kind of situation here.And oil prices are back on the rise here , more I hope.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Here is the kind of professional appraisal you need.
All I can ell you here is this may well be far more valuable than even you realize.
And I am familiar with Wood County.Come from the Hainesville Wood County area and am a mineral holder there as well.
You really want to have somebody eyeball this and calculate it properly and give you an appraisal report.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Here is the law , the Oil Company can usually take land by eminent domain and then you are talking price.So having a professional appraisal will pay for itself.You may end up here with a large disparity between what your guy values it and what they offer so its a good idea to have a figure you can defend here.
Law for reference