How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37854
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I filed a complaint in federal court in California, I

Customer Question

When I filed a complaint in federal court in California, I did not file or receive a signed summons to serve the parties. Now I need to get a clerk signed summons to serve. How do I do that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
You will need to drafty a Summons for Submission to the Court Clerk and have the clerk issue you the summons so you can arrange to have the defendant served.
Here is a link the Summons Form, as well as to the Proof of Service that will need to be filled out by the person serving your Complaint:
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I do this electronically or do I need to file in person? If electronically is acceptable, how long does it take to receive the summons back?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
You can mail the Summons in with an SASE to be returned to you (be sure to make copies as well) or you can hand deliver the document to the clerk’s office.
Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
I wish you well,