How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Judgement help

Customer Question

my mother is 87 and I am her poa I am just finding out from a summons to court that she owes a debt from 2005. The interest amount is very high. I don't know what the debt is for. how do I find out before court? I am in the process of getting a reverse mortgage on the home and this judgment was placed on her home at the court bldg in 2005. I guess they are trying again to get the money.  They have also contacted her bank to garnish her funds.  She only has her retirement and social security checks.  I don't know what to do.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
To start off, you have to hire an attorney for her. While you have her power of attorney, you can't represent her in court, only an attorney can do that.
What state is this in?
What court was it filed in?