How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31685
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Couple married 50yr getting divorced. She left him 7yr ago

Customer Question

Couple married 50yr getting divorced. She left him 7yr ago to study her religion. He continued to provide her support. Now divorcing. He wants to split EVERYTHING 50/50, but she wants her 50% plus he buys her a car, pays car insurance, pays her legal fees, pays $2200.00 monthly alimony fees. How can more than 50% be fair?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her lawyer repeatedly gets court dates rescheduled. How can this man get this divorce expedited?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
It is certainly likely that all marital property and assets will be split 50/50. However, it is unlikely that a court would make him purchase her a vehicle or put himself in the poor house to keep her up.
As for alimony, it is need-based, which means that the court does not give it to anyone automatically. Instead, the court will only award alimony if there is proof that the requesting spouse needs it to survive/maintain her current obligations. Thus, if there is proof that the spouse needs funds, the court can then look at whether or not the other spouse can afford to pay. If there is proof that the requesting spouse needs the money, and that the other spouse can afford to pay, it could be possible for alimony to be ordered.
As for expediting the case , there's no sure fire way to do so....instead, he would just have to try and keep the heat on the other side and his lawyer to get this matter resolved as soon as possible.