How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27214
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went to Dillards last month and got caught stealing

Customer Question

hello. I went to Dillards last month and got caught stealing $332 worth of stuff, but they got all their merchandise back, I have already gone to court and have to pay a $680 fine and take an anti theft class. I have learned my lesson and am trying to move on from it. I am only 20 years old. I recently received in the mail a settlement offer telling me to pay $300 or they would move forward with a statutory civil damages claim against me. My parents told me they thought it was fake and not to pay it. i got another letter in the mail telling me the same thing but with a second settlement offer to pay $575. I have no job and no money to spar, but i am worried they will try and pursue this farther. what do I do?? do you think its likely that they will take me back to court? please help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The demand letter is real and they have a right to go after you. If you do not pay, it will be at their discretion to sue and obtain a judgment. If you wanted to, you could propose a settlement, for less then what they are seeking, to resolve this. You can explain your hardship and advise what you could possible pay them each month and see if they will accept it. If not, then they may take you back to court and when you do obtain a job, enforce the judgment and go after you to satisfy it. There is no way to say for sure what they will do but you need to be aware that this is real and they can file suit.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!