My name is ***** ***** we've been going through a tough

Customer Question
Hello my name is *****...
Hello my name is ***** ***** we've been going through a tough spot about our 8 month dog that we had to rehome. We charged a rehoming fee and before I was able to get it from the people who had interest in her already had her in the vehicle before I could even make sure I got the fee. When I then mentioned it they played it off like they had no idea then stated they would pay the money this past weekend and now they won't pay it and are now wanting to get rid of her bc she is not how they thought she would be, so I said I wanted my dog back or i want my money for her. And now in order for me to get her back they want me to refund them for everything they had so called bought for her even tho they didn't pay for her. I've had people tell me that she is considered stolen, I've tried calling the police but they won't do anything. And ive been roped from money before and I think it's very wrong. I know what they drive, where they live, everything about the people that have her. And it's taking a lot to not just go over and take her back....help! We want her to go to someone who doesn't do things like this to people. Thanks from a very concerned mama
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
And they want us to take them to court bc they believe having pictures and buying the few things they say they bought that she is considered theirs. But I have all txts and messages on fb from they saying they would pay
5/20/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
You have the ability to take them to Small Claims Court for the amount they promised to pay for the dog, plus the filing fee. You're not required to reimburse them for any money they spent on the dog, because you're not the one who violated the agreement - they are.
In order to actually repossess the dog, you'd need something in writing that gives you the ability to take the dog back if they don't pay. Otherwise, you run the risk that they will call the police on you for stealing, because the dog technically belongs to them, even though they haven't paid for it yet (the money belongs to you).
Here is more information on filing a suit in Small Claims Court, with links to the forms.
http://www.iowalegalaid.org/files/A3ED30CF-AFFE-7431-9310-0D521E4312AF/attachments/44B42758-808A-4DDC-B62E-61E9E3240BE8/small-claims-court-jul-2012.pdf
http://www.iowacourts.gov/Court_Rules__Forms/Small_Claims_Forms/
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney