I live in PA and I purchased a vehicle on 4/28/15 in NJ from…

Customer Question
I live in PA and...
I live in PA and I purchased a vehicle on 4/28/15 in NJ from a dealership, they provided me with a non-resident 20 day temp registration which expired on 5/17/15. My state DMV (Penn Dott) never received any registration documents from the dealer. I contacted the dealer and they stated they never sent the paperwork to my DMV because they never received a title from the previous bank. It is now 5/20/15 and I still cannot drive my vehicle because it is not registered. Do I have legal recourse?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
5/20/2015
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

Yes, the dealer has a contractual obligation to convey clear and merchatible title to you. In other words, it is their duty to obtain the required documents from the bank and do whatever is legally required to that end.

You can sue the dealer for breach and also you should file a consumer complaint with the NJ Attorney General's Office.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Thank you.

Being that over 20 days have elapsed, and I can't drive the vehicle, am I still liable for the loan that was taken out with the bank. What type of lawyer should I search for when trying to sue for breach. Thanks

A general litigation attorney would be helpful. If you need help finding an attorney try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Also, yes, you are still liable for the loan. That is a separate agreement between you and the bank. Though, they are going to be even more concerned than you that the title has not been transferred yet.

Best regards.

Is it possible to sue for breach of contract, that will cover the cost? Also an employee of the dealership call me ant stated they will not get a title for about another 10 days, and that will mean my state will not receive the appropriate paperwork and issue registration till June. I will be without a car for about 3 weeks,

You can demand they provide the cost of a rental car for the time you are without a vehicle due to their breach.

Can I demand the contract be voided?

Yes, if they fail to deliver title, but you would still owe something for your use of the car. Also, if they deliver title within the next ten days, as they have promised, then the breach is cured, except formthe loss of use during the period after the temporary registration expired.