How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41531
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Some one is using my social security number ,

Customer Question

some one is using my social security number for employment, how can i stop this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
You need to contact both Social Security, the FTC, and local police here.You want to see if your social security information is incorrect and they will correct it and the FTC will prosecute it along with local law enforcement.
This also gives you a case number ***** FTC and law enforcement in case this affects your credit report.Sometimes they open accounts or do other bad things using your name.
Here is the step by step ..
You can correct this and have this stopped and prosecuted as identity theft.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Contact TransUnion, Equifax, or Experian to place a fraud alert on your credit report. Each agency is required to alert the other two when you place an alert. The alert will prevent a thief from opening any new accounts in your name.
• Equifax: 1-***-***-****;
• TransUnion: 1-***-***-****;
• Experian: 1-***-***-****;
This protects your credit here and makes a protective note.
I now this is frustrating for you but you need to make sure you report to all as soon as you can and get this stopped.
Thanks again for the chance to help tonight.
JA will email you our chat with all of this once you positive rate.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
One more thing to do as soon as you can..
Here this person may also use your Social Security number to file a tax return in order to receive a refund. If the thief files the tax return before you do, the IRS will believe you already filed and received your refund if eligible. If your Social Security number was stolen, this person may use it to get a job.
That person’s employer would report income earned to the IRS using your Social Security number, making it appear that you did not report all of your income on your tax return. If you think you may have tax issues because someone has stolen your identity, contact the IRS Identity Protection Unit at,,id=186436,00.html or call 1-***-***-****.
Another protective measure.
Thanks again.